About the Information Office
Belarus, on the E.U.’s eastern border, has been ruled by President Lukashenko for the past 19 years. In 2010, a peaceful protest against presidential election results led to 700 arrests, including seven presidential candidates. Yet repressions are ongoing and targets are not only voices of political dissent, but increasingly cultural activists, human rights defenders and independent media.
Founded in 2011, Solidarity with Belarus Information Office (SBIO) is a Warsaw-based non-profit, non-partisan organization working closely with Belarusian and international journalists and expert community to overcome Belarus’ isolation by promoting democratic values and transformation.
We believe that international solidarity is vital for supporting any democratic changes within the country.
That’s why we work with international journalists and policymakers in order to help the voices of Belarusian civil society to be heard.
We work to raise awareness among the international community about the political, economical, social, and cultural situation in Belarus; raise awareness inside Belarus about democratic values and E.U. policies in relation to Belarus; and to strengthen ties between Belarusian civil society and the international democratic community.
Solidarity with Belarus Information Office is directed by Yuliya Slutskaya, formerly editor-in-chief of European Radio for Belarus (2007-2010) and editor-in-chief of the largest independent Belarusian newspaper – Komsomolskaya Pravda v Belarusi.
- Raising awareness inside Belarus about democratic values and the policies of the European Union in relation to Belarus.
- Raising awareness among the international community about the political, economical, social, and cultural situation in Belarus.
- Strengthening ties between Belarusian civil society and the international democratic community.
We base our work on principles of cooperation – we stand for close cooperation among all stakeholders working inside and outside Belarus for the benefit of Belarus; impartiality – we are not affiliated with any political force and we are non-biased towards any political force in our assessments; and involvement – we try to engage as many partners and individuals in our efforts and undertakings.
What we do
FOCUS on Belarus
- Produce weekly analytical monitoring in English and in Russian, covering the most important developments in economic, political, and social spheres.
- Organize Belarus Press Club meetings in Minsk.
- Organize ‘Belarus in Focus’, an annual competition for journalists writing about Belarus.
- Organize expert round-tables, seminars, open discussions on various issues.
- Undertake various cultural initiatives
FOCUS in Belarus
- Working with independent Belarusian media
- Working with Belarusian expert community
SBIO Statute (PDF, in Polish)
Who funds us
SBIO is currently supported by Solidarity Fund PL (Polish Aid), EDC Program US Ambassy, Batory Foundation. Our projects are funded by: The Canada Fund, the German Marshall Fund, the Dutch Embassy in Warsaw, the Great Britain Embassy in Minsk, PACT (USAID), Program RITA, Open Society Foundation, International Visegrad Fund, National Endowment for Democracy and European Endowment for Democracy.
Connect with us
Contact us: Office@solidarityby.eu
Read us: belarusinfocus.info
Like us: facebook.com/SolidarityBY
Watch us: facebook.com/BelDream
Join us: facebook.com/groups/118172071610230/
Follow us: twitter.com/solidarityby
Phone: +48 22 8260512